Tuesday, February 12, 2008

MEME: FROM BETTY & "BOOK GUY"

Ok...so Betty is trying to draw me into the culture of the BLOG...I'm not sure about this!?! Is an old lady ready for the fast paced world of new era communication? I can't even find home keys on the key board half of the time!!...ah, you too shall understand my trepidation in a few decades and will sigh, and say..."Now I know what heiffer meant!"
One of my favorite series of books is , of course, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. And here are the instructions from the meme (whatever that is???):
1. Pick up the nearest book ( of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.
I cheated. I went upstairs to retrieve my book. (What sacrifices we make for our vanity!..my knees will never forgive me. Basement. Living floor. Bedroom & book floor. And back again. THERE AND BACK AGAIN. Wasn't that Bilbo's title for his memoir?) I tried to find War and Peace, which is, in my limited opinion, the best book ever written. In my 20's I read W&P at least five time....but I've read L.O.T.R. at least 7 times...yes, all 3 books! Like visiting an old friend that I never tire of greeting.
p. 123....where Frodo & friends have just arrived in the house of Tom Bombadil:
"The floor was flagged, and strewn with fresh green rushes. There were four deep mattresses , each piled with white blankets, laid on the floor along one side. Against the opposite wall was a long bench laden with wide earthenware basins, and beside it stood brown ewers fill with water, some cold, some steaming hot. ..."
I know that the movies left out Tom and Goldberry... and I know all of the adventure could not be included, but I did miss him (Tom, that is).
Meanwhile, back to W&P, I can't find my copy which is over 40 years old and my favorite translation. This is disturbing. I'm not sure who the translator was so I'm not sure I can replace the book. Betty, did I loan it to you? And how do I tag people? Help! I'm just an old cow trying to find her stall in the barn before it gets dark outside.

2 comments:

Cowgirl Betty said...

I would tag people who might be reading your blog, such as your "honey" (Texarado), and perhaps the Hensler Chronicles.

I would then post a comment in their latest entry. . .

Daughter

Cowgirl Betty said...

P.S. Excellent choice. Quite fitting that the section turned to was Tom Bombadil. It's very much like running into a long-lost friend in the grocery store.